Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

Americans Valuing Experiences Over Consumption

Madeline having an "experience" with a water cave



This week the New York Times published a great article about how Americans are valuing experience over consumption now that we're in the Great Recession (their term). This makes me happy! Its boosting museum attendance, which of course tickles me, but thats not the only thing. I have wondered my whole life how such a large portion of our society puts such a high priority on material belongings. Its a conundrum for me in a way, since I am a collector and I have built my career around "material" culture (museum collections!), yet I shun consumerism. My collections mostly come to me second hand, through the flea market, the very generous sidewalks of New York and San Francisco, or the thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment